Friday, November 30, 2007

Sesame Street Rated "not safe for your preschooler"

Here is the sadness that is our entertainment industry.

They've just released the original Sesame Street episodes on DVD, but they are accompanied by a precaution that they are not recommended for today's preschoolers. Why? Because Cookie Monster still eats everything in sight, Snuffy is still invisible to everyone but Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch is dismally grouchy, etc and so forth.

So, since today's parents can't hold a conversation with their child about why it's not good to eat paintings and chairs and railings and too many cookies, we're being issued a warning.

Give me a break TV Land! Entertainment is just that. If our kids learn the ABCs at the same time, good for the them. But, in the end, TV is entertainment. And entertainment is often fiction. As in, blue monsters don't really exist! Therefore you would be best to not follow his eating habits!

I could go on forever.

Go read it for yourself
and let me know what you think.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you, mamabear!

I also have to say that I have the 70s Sesame Street episodes on DVD and have watched them with L, so clearly I'm paying zero attention to their "warnings", and I have noticed some "old fashioned" language in some of the episodes that I'm not keen on. Or, I suppose I should say, that I *notice*.

For example, they had something about "things everyone can do". And were talking about how "everyone can walk", etc. I'm not some politically correct prude psycho...but I noticed that. I thought, "Hmm...that's not really true. Not everyone can walk. Most people can walk."

Not that that really *matters* or that it's a reason to tell people they can't watch 70s episodes of Sesame Street with their kid. I think their lawyers just told them they had to say that so they wouldn't get sued by a Murderball team.

JN said...

You hit the point with your statement about attorneys, CJ -- I think this is less about the entertainment industry forgetting their value and more about the legal department justifying their salaries.

This kind of lowest-common-denominator overcautiousness, the need to address the perceived foolish acts of the mouthbreathers of the world, is really kind of insulting to the rest of us.

Pretty soon our new cars will come with a bright yellow tag stapled to the steering wheel: "Caution: May be harmful if ingested."

Tigerlily said...

It's the lawyers. But it's the lawyers because somewhere, some white trash hustler's inbred kid WILL try to eat the staircase railing and break a molar, and that chick will think Cookie Monster, cha-ching!! And next thing you know Seasame Street's dist co is being sued, because some lazy bleach blonde with fuck me pumps is trying to get rich.

Oh, wait, did I say the F word? Better give this post a warning label. Rated R. For Ridiculous.

db said...

"But it's the lawyers because somewhere, some white trash hustler's inbred kid WILL try to eat the staircase railing and break a molar, and that chick will think Cookie Monster, cha-ching!!"

Kind of like this

Anonymous said...

OMG, DB...I just read that article. And I *would* laugh...except stuff like this doesn't end up being funny. I think that if your lawsuit is determined to be crap, you should be forced to pay the people you sued the amount you were suing *for*. Maybe that would make these morons think twice.

db said...

We could always just put labels on beer cans stating the following:

"Warning: Can obeys the laws of gravity."

That should cover it.